Monday, October 19, 2015

Weekend in Kwig

     As 2nd year teachers, Christina and I are little by little beginning to enjoy some of the fruits of our labor. It's been so exciting to see the growth in our students- not just academically, but socially and emotionally as well. We regularly have conversations that go "I can't believe so-and-so's progress from last year!" or "Do you remember what so-and-so was like a year ago?" It's important to focus on the improvements that we've seen, because we often become mired in the tragic everyday realities of our students. It's one thing to accept a job knowing the demographics and the statistics that you are getting yourself into, but it's quite another when those statistics rear their ugly head with such swift devastation.

     Goodnews Bay has been dealing with some real devastation this year. Last winter, we wrote about going to the funeral of a mother of 8, whose children range from 2 to 18 years old. This past month, the father of those same children committed suicide, leaving a scandal of sexual abuse and heartache and displaced lives that has rocked the village. The teachers haven't even been made aware of all of the facts (the sexual abuse alone has been linked to people throughout the village, including students of all ages) because of the ongoing nature of the case by the Alaska State Troopers. But we do know that victims have become abusers themselves, and this troubles us.
     Aside from this major event, there have just been a lot of issues village-wide, from child neglect to alcoholism and poor parenting and abuse- many days we're left feeling pretty powerless and frustrated. So it was with some relief that I was able to get out of the village for a couple of days last weekend as coach of the NYO team- to get away from the negative energy and to do something positive and tangible with my students. I was especially glad that one of the boys from the affected family was able to travel with us.


We left Friday afternoon on a charter. The students were VERY excited to fly and to see another village. 


Goodnews Bay. A rare barge in the bay. The barge was anchored at the Point, but had to navigate itself further down the bay as the tide came in.


Kwigillingok, Alaska (Don't worry, I have a hard time pronouncing it myself).
The location of some of these villages blows my mind. Kwig is really out there in the middle of nowhere. While there is a small river nearby, it's hard to believe how people have survived here for generations.


Because of the swampy, marshland of the village, there are boardwalks that connect the various houses and buildings. While they are solidly built, I can't imagine driving my Honda on these in the snow and ice. We had Hondas zipping by us at 30mph every few seconds.


Though oil money runs our state, Alaska is ahead of the curve when it comes to renewable energy. Many of the villages have adopted wind or tide power, including Kwig. 


The school


I love this picture. The coach's room for the tournament was one of the Yup'ik classrooms. Here, students have drawn the major animals in the region, including their traditional Yup'ik name.


I had the choice to eat school food or traditional food for the tourney. Here we have (from top left, clockwise): akutaq (Eskimo ice cream), dried halibut, dried salmon, mouse food, salmon pasta, salunaq (salted raw fish), and seal oil. 


Eskimo stick pull, one of the NYO events. I spent the weekend judging Jr High boys' events with the NYO coach from Kasigluk. I learned a lot about the events, how to train for them, and how good some kids are!


Seal hop, the most grueling show of physical endurance.


Walking to the store the next morning. "I want to go store!" reverberates in my skull...


Walked past this quad lineup outside the school without thinking twice, and then went back to snap this pic when I realized how I'm getting used to some things my second year in the bush. 


Our proud team. The student to my left is holding a can of Coke that says 
"Share a Coke with your team" The poster was made by Kwig students


Getting a ride back to the airport


The basketball court out by the airport.


It's good to be home! 

3 comments:

  1. I had the same initial reaction, Lori. It grows underground and they dig it up to harvest it. It is what mice, voles, and other rodent like creatures eat- hence, mouse food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon,
    I love reading your blog and I love how you and Christina and Junie are adapting to "life in the bush"! :)

    ReplyDelete