Sunday, August 24, 2014

Sickness...


Thankfully for times of sickness there is the Bristol Bay Health Clinic. I had my first appointment there yesterday after school. They usually only stay open until 2:30 but often make accommodations for teachers. YAY! So, as soon as the Kindergartners were gone, I rode off into the village on the school's Honda for my appointment at the clinic.



After many questions and lots of probing they decided to do a Strep test…I passed it with flying colors! Then came the options of a shot or pills. I’m sure you can’t guess what I decided on, a shot. That will come as a shock to many of you but may indicate just how sick I was feeling.




Overall I had a great experience at the Clinic and was feeling better within several hours.

The Clinic here is pretty unique and staffed with Health Aides from Goodnews but also from other villages. The Health Aide yesterday was from Tooksook Bay, which is only about a 30 minute flight from here. The Clinic was originally supposed to be unstaffed Friday-Monday this weekend because several of the Health Aides are on leave for various reasons. However, Mary the Health Aide’s schedule was changed to provide the village with a Clinic over the weekend. Mary told me that Goodnews is one of the busier clinics that she works in. She works in about 4 clinics doing 2 week stays at each of the clinics.

No comments:

Post a Comment